Learning path: Workplace Skills Builder
Duration: 2 Day(s).
Decision-making appears at the top of many lists about workplace skills and competencies that employers value. It makes sense. We make decisions and solve problems several times every day. Many of these decisions are easy to make or have few, if any, consequences. What shall I have for dinner tonight? Do I want to take the bus or ride my bike to work today? Should I take my team to lunch to celebrate their success?
Other decisions are far more complex, especially when your team faces difficult problems you must solve. Decisions about new product development or global expansion have far-reaching consequences. Making smart decisions could be the difference between business profitability or disaster. Resolving problems with the best solution could be the difference between saving loyal customers or not.
For some people, decision making comes naturally. Others wrestle with that task as they get stuck in a haystack of details and possibilities. Sometimes people fear that they may make the wrong decision and lose credibility or self-esteem.
The key to smart problem solving and decision making rests with our ability to clearly define the problem, identify options, research them, and then craft a workable solution. Having a process to work through these steps can take the anxiety out of problem-solving and make decisions easier. That’s what this course is about.
- Use creative thinking methods and contribute to problem-solving teams
- Use proven problem-solving processes and techniques
- Decide the best approach to use in a problem-solving situation
- Analyze information to identify the problem
- Follow the steps to reach workable solutions
- Create an action plan to implement and follow-up on decisions
- Avoid common problem-solving and decision-making mistakes
Managers, supervisors and team leaders.